Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Keep our paths straight.

June 29, 2014

I am currently sitting in the Wellington library, looking out to see pouring rain and the cold weather. I am also sitting with 2 companions because I'm in a trio for 2 days:) Sister Sturzenagger is from Switzerland and staying with us, which is awesome because she has a German accent and reminds me of Lea Herbers. I told her my great-grandpa was from Switzerland and is made me so happy to know my family history! Grandma Stratford, is that why you learned German? I had no idea that's the language they spoke. Anyway, trios are pretty fun!

So our most exciting event for the week was on Sunday when we got to meet our new Mission President and his wife! We hugged Sister Kezerian goodbye, and I've always heard that the Sisters get to hug President when they leave. So since he was leaving we got to hug him which was nice. President and Sister Hudson are jus the cutest. She definitely has a Canadian accent, but they feel like the right people to lead our mission. I have a Mission Leader Council on Wednesday with them where I'll give my presentation for our Zone, then we have the first Zone Conference on Saturday which will be fun. Endings and beginnings are hard, but they are necessary to continue to hasten the work of salvation. 

Baptism with our Ward Mission Leader, Aileen, and Danielle.
We had an absolute MIRACLE on Saturday! There was a baptism of a woman about 30 minutes away and so we tried to get some investigators to come. Our ward mission leader was the one baptising the woman so he brought an investigator and her member friend, then 3 Vietnamese girls came with another member and we hadn't even met 2 of them before the baptism! They said that they all felt something that they've never felt before and it was awesome to know that they were truly feeling the Holy Ghost testify of truth. The Vietnamese girls then took us to lunch to try Pho which was pretty nice.

On Thursday the Relief Society put on a Zumba night and it was so cool. We can't do Zumba as missionaries, but we were in charge of making smoothies and it was fun to watch everyone. The Lord needs us to fellowship and get involved in the church not only on Sundays, but during the whole week. Everyone there had so much fun and I love that about this ward.

​Matariki Day at Te Papa
This weekend the Maori people celebrated Matariki Day. Matariki is the God of the stars and it also symbolizes the New Year here. They had a big celebration at Te Papa which is the big national museum. There, they had Kapa Haka groups (people who do their songs, chats, haka and poi ball dances) from all over New Zealand who came. It was awesome! We did finding while we were there and met a young mum who is very promising:) I can now find the Northern Cross, which is represented by the 4 stars on the New Zealand flag. I really do love the stars down under!

Alma 56:40: "Now they durst not turn to the right nor the left lest they should be surrounded; neither would I turn to the right nor to the left lest they should overtake me, and we could not stand against them, but be slain." The Stripling Warriors were being pursued by the Lamanites and what I love is that they recognized that if they deviated from their straight course, the enemy would overtake them. It's the same with the Lord. His paths are straight and when we deviate from the way He has shown us, that is when we get into danger. So continue on the straight and narrow path!

Love you all heaps!
Sister Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment