Monday, January 13, 2014

A Funeral, a Wedding and a Baptism.

December 23, 2013

If only there was a birth in the ward I would have had a full "Plan of Salvation Week". But seriously, it was a full on week!

On Wednesday we had the funeral, or Tagi, for Francie. It was at the Seventh Day Adventist church and you could definitely say we got some funny looks from their pastor and other people. Her husband of the past 5 years had us sit on the very front row with him. We felt a tad awkward sitting in front of her family, but he wanted us there. Then the man right next to us turns out to be Mormon! Possibly the only Mormon in the room. Of course he hasn't been active in over 40 years but he said he felt more comfortable knowing we were Mormon ha. It was a wonderful service but their belief in seeing her again was more of a hope, while our belief is a knowledge which I was so comforted by.

The super flash after wedding and baptism feed and party.
Saturday was a beautiful summer day!! But even better looking was the beautiful Prescott family who were married. Sister White and I were so lucky because we got Tongan dresses, or pule tahas, brought down from Auckland for us for the event. We looked like Christmas in red and green. But even better than our islander outfits were the girls dressed in white and the boys in nice suits. The wedding was outside at a Japanese garden. Our Branch President performed the wedding and although it was exciting to see them be married for time, I was thrilled to think about their family in a year being able to go to the temple to be sealed for all eternity. I just love weddings!! Right after, everyone hurried to the chapel for Jeff's long awaited baptism.

I'm now Tongan.
 Miracle time: We were singing "When I am Baptized" with some of the kids from the branch. We had practiced the night before and when we went that morning we couldn't find the Primary Hymn book anywhere! I was slightly freaking out.. the branch only has one book and I'd lost it!! Four missionaries searched the cupboard where it usually is and no one could find it. We looked all day, then right before the baptism I hurried off into a classroom and just said a prayer, possibly out of desperation, pleading with faith. I came out and one of the YW was standing at the cupboard, I told her we couldn't find it, then she reached her hand in and pulled out the hymn book. Whoa!! I've never had a prayer answered so quickly. A true miracle so our pianist could play for the baptism. Prayer is the answer to all things.

The program was really sweet before the baptism and he had invited many non-member friends and family who all came. We all shuffled into the tiny room with the fount and watched him be baptized. I was so overcome with emotion thinking about the day in August that we met him and how far he and his family have come. I teared up being filled with the Spirit. Baptisms are truly the best! He was also confirmed the same day. He had an Indian, Samoan, Tongan, and American a part of his confirmation. We have the best diversity in Blenheim. He stood up to give his testimony and you could just feel his happiness and testimony! The Book of Mormon sealed his testimony and desire to be baptized. He's the most converted man I've met and I know he's already started getting to work here in the branch.

Exciting news: The next day on Sunday, the District President was here from Nelson and Jeff received the Priesthood! He had a Birthday Friday, wedding, baptism, and confirmation on Saturday, then received the Priesthood on Sunday. I don't know how you could stuff more exciting things into a weekend. I'm still on a spiritual high!! Whee!! I love being a missionary and seeing the change that the gospel brings into people. I've been in Blenheim 5 months now and this family is truly my blessing. I just love them:)

Merry Merry Christmas!! Isn't Jesus Christ just the best?? There's a true meaning to the season and I pray that all of you back home will be able to focus on Christ, being with family, and find meaningful ways you can reach out to others who are less fortunate than yourselves.

Love, Sister Kennedy

P.S. are you impressed I've already filled my 16GB camera card?? Yeah, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment