Monday, January 13, 2014

Blessings in Blenheim

December 16, 2013

Wow, this week has been busy busy and full of ups and downs. I'll start from the bad and go to the good.

Beautiful Francie, her husband Chaz,
Sister White and I visiting her in Hospice.
This week I lost a dear friend of mine in Blenheim. I don't know how to explain it. Although I've only known Francie for 5 months the pain of her death is really hard. Sister Taleni and I met her the very first day we went door knocking. She's a staunch member of the Seventh Day Adventist, but she loved us coming over to share messages of Christ and sing her hymns. She's been battling lung cancer for a year after smoking 50 years of her life. She's been so good to us, feeding us lunches, we've crafted with her, and in the past couple weeks we've been visiting her in her Hospice room. We went to see her on Friday and she was really bad. We sang her "How Great Thou Art" and while we sang she woke up from her sleep. Her family said that was the last time she woke up. She passed away Saturday afternoon. I'm not exactly sure why I loved her so much and why we met her, but I hope that it was part of Heavenly Father's plan for her to know the missionaries. I pray it will make it easier for her to accept the truth one day.

I was in my first car accident!! Crazy. We were driving home from Picton when we were stopped for a train. We had a member with us from a lesson and we felt a big push from behind. The lady behind us got distracted by the train and hit our car. At first I was just surprised what had happened. Then we dealt with everything calling our mission office, swapping information, and taking pictures of our dented bumper. We came home and a couple hours later when we looked at our car, the dent was gone! Ha funny blessing. But dealing with accident forms and insurance companies can be the worst.

I think I ate the Little Mermaid's friends. Flounder right?? This investigator fed us lunch and she gave us each a huge flounder fish to eat. It was good, but I ate more parts of a fish than I am used to. I ate fin and all of the poor little guy. I just follow suit of the hostess and so I guess I'm islander now.

We had a rocking Branch Christmas Party on Friday! The Branch President had rented out a bouncy castle for the kids, they had music playing, volleyball on the grass, and heaps of food. It was a big success and investigators even came.

We're meeting with this great lady, she's a single mum of 2 young boys. It was only the second time meeting with her and we were sitting out on her lawn watching her naked boys run around in the water. We taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ and she LOVED it. I think she especially loved the principle of repentance and knowing that all her guilt and past could be cleaned through baptism. I extended the baptism commitment and she told us "absolutely". She then asked, "When can I be baptized?" Ha that's the response I've always dreamed of as a missionary!! She wants to be baptized before the end of the year so she can get her life on track for 2014. What a promised blessing she is!! She's a miracle and she'll be a beacon for her little family.

The wonderful view in Picton at the Foreshore.
All things considered that have happened this week, I'm still happy knowing that through the Plan of Salvation we will see loved ones again and have a fullness of joy with Christ. All things will be made right with Christ. This life is a test, that is why it's hard. And guess what, we all signed up for it!! Using our agency we chose to follow this plan. I just love it and know it is true. We have our first baptism in Blenheim this year on Saturday and we are stoked. Jeff is the best and I think he'll become branch president in the future. I've never met someone with a greater love and desire to follow Jesus Christ. Blessings truly are coming in Blenheim!! Love you all HEAPS!

Sister Rachel Kennedy

P.S. For anyone who watches the Hobbit, this is the down low. I've heard there's a scene where they are going down a river in wooden barrels. That's filmed where I am!! At least.. pretty close by haha. Cool bananas.

P.P.S. big shout out to the Willows Ward YW and YM!! I got the cutest Christmas card in the mail, and I'm sad to say I didn't know many of the names, but it was still so lovely to feel their love:)

No comments:

Post a Comment