Sunday, May 18, 2014

A glassy dinner.

February 17, 2014

So.. let me just tell you about the most epic meal appointment of my life!! This beautiful family in the ward invited us for Sunday dinner. They have 5 boys, they met serving missions together in Auckland, and they are just delightful. It's been a bit cold here in Wellington, but this day was gorgeous. The Brother wanted to eat outside on the deck, the Sister wasn't so sure. There was a broken umbrella to shade the table and so the Brother was out using his power tools to jimmy rig it enough to give us shade. It look a long time. Finally, the table was set, the food was ready- a beautiful meal with enchiladas, rice, salad, corn and all the topping- and the umbrella was in. Just 2 bites in we hear this incredible rumble and the entire glass topped table crashes to the ground!!! We are all in immediate shock as we see everything laying in bits on the ground below us. I immediately say, "Grab a camera and take a picture!!" (You can see where my priorities are.)

We had the initial shock of the event, my want of taking pictures, then the realization that people were actually hurt. The boys had just been wearing shorts and they all have pieces of glass that had dug into their thighs. One of the boys did the typical start screaming out of fear, then the others boys were calm, and luckily the mom and dad were problem solvers. Ha the Dad luckily wasn't at the table and so he helped everyone. We had piles of glass on our skirts, but luckily, due to modesty we weren't injured. Let's be real- this family handled the situation perfectly. No one was upset about what caused it or what was broken, but they focused on helping each other and cleaning up the mess. It was the cutest thing, and just so memorable!! When things go bad, all you can do is laugh and clean it up. No use in getting upset because we can't change the past. All we can do it change our attitude about the situation.

We had a suuper fun Valentine's this year. My companion didn't realize that Valentine's isn't about being in love, it's about LOVING! The senior sisters live in the mission office and so we snuck up to their door and "Heart Attacked" them. It was the best. We then spent all day driving to members home and delivering their Heart Attacks. We'd written heaps of scriptures about love on the back and also delivered a thank you note. It was fun to run around and doorbell ditch our members. It also proved beneficial to the trust and love the members have for us. I hope everyone at home had a beautiful Valentine's Day as well. Luckily, I had heaps of American candy from Mum to fill my day:)

I was on exchanges for like 3 days, which is really long, but it was the best. One of the members from Blenheim was moving up here, but I couldn't remember when. We got a call from a private number and I finally figured out it was the Schaumkel's! We got to visit their new home and seeing them was just the sweetest thing. I'm making lifelong friends and family here. That's the beauty of the gospel. I may return home one day, but I know I will see these people again. Our Mission President and wife were in our District Meeting this week, and they are just the sweetest. They go home in July and you can see how sad they are to see it come to an end. Time goes by incredibly fast, but I know we are each called to not only the mission but also to the Mission President. This gospel is true and it makes me so happy:)

Love you all heaps!
Sister Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment