Sunday, May 18, 2014

Growing heaps.

March 3, 2014

I think this has been the hardest and most rewarding week of my mission. Not physically, not emotionally, but spiritually. I've gained more this week than I have in a long time!

I love our lessons on the Armour of God
 and Carlos looked especially ready for battle!!
All week we'd been preparing for our beautiful baptism by inviting members, having Family Home Evening with she and her daughter at the Bishop's home, coordinating all her baptismal clothes, speaking in Ward Council about ways they could support and help, printing off the program, and having final lessons with her to make sure she was prepared. It was all going so well, at least on her part. It's always been that way. She's never raised any concerns because she's had such a solid testimony from the beginning.

On Friday, as we were running between the Ward Mission Leader's home and the Mission Office printed the programs,we were a little stressed. Then we decided to go downtown to a jewelry shop that Bishop's wife works at to get her a nice present. While parking the car, our bike hitch swung and dented a car. Ha, just adding to a nice day. As we started in the shop a member told us some church news that shocked up. Members have been leaving the church from the news in new essays and it left us with a dark cloud. Not that it shook our faith, it just surprised us and shocked us to hear these things. Better yet, was that we realized we had forgotten a little girl on the program who would be singing. So it was 4pm, we'd printed programs without a little girl in it, and we had all these trials building up. We hurried to edit the programs and reprint them all. I can't tell you the peace that came as I looked at these printed programs with a picture of Jesus Christ being baptized. It was amazing! Just an amazing calm. We drove back to our area and I filled up the gas and went to pay.. when I realized I was at the wrong gas station and our mission doesn't cover it. So I paid for the gas from cash at the ATM. Boo, I knew it was Satan who was giving us all these trials because we had a baptism the next day and that he was doing all he could to stop it. We got a text from a member in our ward inviting to stop by for a bit. It was surprising because she had just had us over for dinner the night before, but I was hoping she'd have something sweet because she's a baker. We knocked on her door and she opened up holding two red velvet cupcakes in her hand. Now, I don't know how many people know this, but red velvet in my favourite!! It was like Heavenly Father had opened the door and said, "I love you, know you, and care about what you're going through right now." She said she had been thinking about us all day and had been prompted to invite us over for these extras. I'm so grateful she listened to the Spirit because it was the answer that I needed to strengthen my testimony.

So much love and support from her family on her baptism.
Elizabeth's baptism on Saturday was just so beautiful! Her daughter, dad, sister, fiancé and his mum all came to support her. We also had a primary room full of members who had come to be there and support. Sister Gilmour and I sang "When I am Baptized" with Amearah, her daughter, and Leilia, who's Bishop's daughter. (They're so blessed because they are in the same primary school class and will now grow up in church together.) They stole the show with their singing and it was just the sweetest thing. We walked back to the font with Elizabeth and stood there watching. As she entered the water I started to cry feeling the Spirit so strong. We've known Elizabeth for 35 days and she has an amazing testimony. What a beautiful day!!

She was confirmed yesterday in church and she stood so confident for a vote of welcoming into the ward. Heavenly Father allows us to go through hard things and be tempted so that He can bless us later showing His love, timing, and His way. All this news has only deepened my testimony of the Book of Mormon. If we know the Book of Mormon is true, it doesn't matter all the other fine details. It's another testimony of Jesus Christ and He is the way and the center of this gospel. Everything else on top of His atonement is just appendages. As we come to know the Book of Mormon is true it confirms that the Priesthood has been restored, that Joseph Smith was called to restore the gospel, that Jesus is the Christ, and that this church is true. I love being a missionary and I love Wellington. Every day is an adventure and every day I grow.

I hope you all have a beautiful week!! Don't forget to write me, I love mail;) But seriously, ha.

Love you all heaps!
Sister Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment