Sunday, May 18, 2014

Be the means of saving some.

April 6, 2014

My goodness, this has been a crazy week! Most pressing on my mind, today we received the transfer list. My companion has been transferred up North which we are so sad to part from each other. She's just the cutest. There are 2 Scottish sisters in the entire mission, and I can now say I'll be companions with both! I'll be serving with Sister Hann, who is also Scottish. I think she's been out a couple transfers longer than me. I'll still be STL which is cool. Every missionary companionship in our District is changing and we even have a new Assistant this transfer. So much change!

This is me being smashed by one of the Trolls from Lord of the Rings. We went to Weta caves in Miramar which is where they make props for movies and they have a cool little museum.
Starting from the beginning. Last P-day we had so much fun site seeing the world of Lord of the Ring and Peter Jackson- cool story, the Elders knocked into him just this week, so that is neat. Weta caves is where they build sets, props, have the digital media to edit and create amazing movies. We got to see the big trolls, Gandolf the grey and disgusting orcs and creatures. It was pretty neat!

I then went on an exchange in Porirua which was really cool, and timely. Often, these exchanges happen exactly when they need to even though I just plan them at the beginning of the transfer. I think it really helped this companionship which was cool. We had some powerful lessons, we biked through the wap waps or incredible thick bush, and biked home in the dark through this creepy forest. Sister Boehmer and I just spoke all about the gospel so we wouldn't get freaked out in the woods.

During our exchange, this is me fighting my way through the wap waps.
Saturday was so beautiful. We had a baptism!! By we, I mean the Elders in the District so we were all into it because we're in the same ward. Baptisms are so scarce here that we really get stoked for one:) Robin is a funny one. He cut off half of his dreads for the baptism which we thought was a big thing for him. Sister Gilmour, AJ from the ward and I sang "I Need Thee Every Hour" for the baptism. We did it a cappella and with a trio harmony which was pretty neat:) We again sang it on Sunday for the prelude music because Bishop liked it so much so that was fun! I get waay more nervous singing on my mission than back at home. Maybe it's because I was more used to it back at home.. who knows.
Robin's baptism with the gigantic group of full time missionaries.
Robin's baptism! We didn't quite know what to do when he put his arms around us.. but it's all good :)

I heard how amazing the Women's Broadcast was, so of course I was way excited to see it for myself. As soon as I walked in I saw the prophet and squealed, quietly of course because we were in the chapel. Every companionship in the mission printed off 600 invitations to General Conference and almost every time we speak to someone we testify of a living prophet. So when I saw President Monson my heart was just filled with joy. I love our living prophet and apostles! Mum said that she cried through the whole meeting, and I am my mother's daughter. Before people even spoke I was crying. Just little tears really but I was all choked up. To see so many faithful, beautiful daughters of God made me feel so much the love the Heavenly Father has for His precious daughters. Sister Wixom from the Primary spoke and I just wanted to remind everyone: I went to the temple alone only my second time and she was in that session. I just came to love her so much through that, so it was exciting to hear from her. 

Basically, I just love this church so much. I am STOKED to see General Conference this weekend. What an amazing month. We get to celebrate the Easter season with the glorious resurrection of our Saviour, we get to hear from the living prophets and sustain them, and I get to stay in Wellington:) 

"And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some." Alma 26:30. This has become my new mission motto. I want to be the means of saving souls and that is why I am serving a mission. What an amazing thing to see investigators progress and come closer to Jesus Christ. I love this gospel and know it is true!!

Love from the other side of the world, with the most amazing stars to see at night,
Sister Rachel Kennedy

P.S. Did anyone notice that the Sister who conducted the music in the Women's meeting is the actor who receives the beef jerky for the angel in 17 Miracles?? I did, and it made me happy ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment